Brought to you by
MobileMuster recycles all mobile phone components, including all brands of handsets, along with their batteries, chargers and accessories. Free of charge.
Find Out More
Don’t let mobiles go to landfill or waste away in your drawers. You can help reduce e-waste by recycling your old mobiles and accessories with MobileMuster. Simply drop them off at over 3500 public drop off points including all major mobile phone retailers, including Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, and Samsung stores. Find your nearest drop point here.
Or post them in for free by picking up a reply paid satchel at participating AusPost stores.
Mobile phones and accessories can’t be recycled in your general waste bins from your council. Although some councils offer collection points at local libraries and customer service centres, or even at waste transfer stations. Check with your local council.
If your mobile is still working then consider extending its life by either selling it online or passing it on to friends and family. If it no longer works and is no longer wanted then it is time to recycle it.
Whatever you choose to do, remember to remove any data that you can want to keep – visit MobileMuster for tips on how to manage your data.
About Mobile Phones
- There are an estimated 31 million mobile devices active in Australia.
- There are approximately 23 million unused mobile phones hidden in our drawers and cupboards across Australia. Of those 5 million are broken and no longer working.
- Over 99% of the resources in mobile phones can be recovered and returned to the supply chain to go back into making new products.
Why Recycle Mobiles?
Mobiles phones along with their accessories are not biodegradable, but they are highly recyclable. On that basis, they should not be disposed of in the bin as they contain harmful substances which, if not managed properly, could damage the environment.
Recycling 50,000 mobiles saves 99 tonnes of mineral resources and 19 tonnes of CO2 emissions. To find out how much impact you’re making from recycling your phone visit the MobileMuster Calculator.
Before you recycle your mobile, make sure to transfer any data off the phone that you would like to keep like music, pictures or documents. For more tips on managing your data visit MobileMuster.
- MobileMuster is the product stewardship program of the mobile phone industry. The program is funded voluntarily by its members which include all the major handset manufacturers and the network providers. It was established in 1998 to provide a free take back service for unwanted mobile phones and accessories, ensuring they didn’t end up in landfill.
- Everything collected is recycled to the highest environmental standard.
- Nothing is ever resold.
- Any data left on devices is destroyed in the recycling process.
- For more information visit MobileMuster or call 1300 730 070.
- Find out more about buying, selling and repairing old mobile phones with phonecycle.